One of the best ways to build your brand online is through media appearances. When you have enough media appearances, it becomes easier to grow and scale your brand to what you want it to be.
Getting media appearances online is not a marketing strategy reserved for some select people only. Every business persons should include media appearances as part of their branding and marketing strategy online.
Media appearances are powerful. Getting featured in a publication online as an expert is a good way to gain instant credibility, authority and recognition in your niche.
Several people have used either a single or multiple media appearances online to build a sustainable personal brand and PR portfolio.
If it worked for them, it’ll work for you. You need not worry about how to start if you don’t know where to start from. Here are some tips that will help you build your brand online with media appearances:
1. Create a custom publication list
Everyone has a preferred choice of media they would like to appear in. Yours could be podcasts, online publications or even the combination of the two.
But to effectively use this to your advantage, you need to identify your preferred media type and list them in an excel sheet.
For example, let’s say appearing on media publications is your preferred approach, you can list publications like Forbes, Entrepreneur, Inc etc. on your excel sheet with notes on how to get on these publications.
You need to be specific with your approach and state exactly how you’ll achieve them.
You can begin by identifying writers, contributors, editors and any other person you can link to these platforms. Put their contact details in your sheet.
There are several ways to identify these people. You can either use search engines, or social media such as Twitter to do this. Target only those people that will be interested in your story.
To know if a particular publication or editor will love your story, read what they publish or write about regularly. This will save you your from unnecessary rejections when you send in your pitch or story.
2. Brand yourself in a specific category
Editors, speakers, and publications are looking for experts to feature. Your story must clearly show your expertise in a specific category. You must be able to use your story to simplify highly technical concepts in your industry.
Always remember your goal — build your brand online and be known as an authority in your niche. Keeping this in mind will help you maximize the full potential of media appearances online.
Make sure that you’re known as an expert so as to dominate your niche.
3. Publicize your media appearances
After getting a media appearance, you need to let your network know about your feat. By doing this, more and more people will find your brand credible.
Overall, this will improve your authority and dominance in your niche. There are many ways to go about this.
– Go on interviews: Use your media appearance to get in front of more people. Answer questions about your area of expertise.
– Use it as credibility on your website: Most brands add the “as featured in” or “as seen on” badge on their websites as soon as they secure their first media appearance. You can equally do the same. Display your “as seen in” or “as featured on” banners on your website to boost your credibility.
– Write about it: Write about your media appearances on your blog, social media — LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and every other places your prospects are online.
– Package it in different forms: Create many forms of digestible contents from your media appearances such as e-books, presentations, videos, banners, etc. The goal is to push your brand out as an authority in your niche.
– Talk to your network about it: Never stop talking about your appearance online. Talk about it in your bios, in your emails, ads, pitch. Talk about it everywhere. Let people know about your media and brand mentions.
4. Rinse and repeat
When something is working well, why stop the process?
Repeat step one to three above to get maximum exposure through online media appearance. When you appear in more places online, your audience and authority grows.
Let’s Work Together
My team and I are currently available for freelance writing, website design, guest-blogging, SEO, email copy-writing, sponsored posts and product reviews. Let’s work together in taking your business to the next level
Adeyemi Adetilewa is a online business strategist, digital marketing consultant, cryptocurrency enthusiast and writer. Some of his articles can be found on the Huffington Post, Thrive Global, Evan Carmichael, Addicted2Success, TweakYourBiz, Prsuit, LinkedIn, Quora and other publications. He writes about business, marketing, and technology.